REF Board of Trustees Application
The REF Board of Trustees are volunteers who raise funds and award grants to teachers, administrators, students and community leaders to enrich learning in our community. The board meets monthly during all months except July and December. Click the button below to start the application. All applications will be reviewed upon receipt and someone from REF will be in contact with you soon!
Expectations of a Rockford Education Foundation Trustee
- All Trustees will believe in and be an active advocate for the Foundation’s mission and strategic plan
- Understand the REF Board is a working board. All Trustees are expected to engage in both directing the Foundation, while also delivering specific results to help progress the Foundation with an expectation of at least 50 hours per fiscal year (July-June) of time, which includes committee work, board and grant review meetings, fund development activities, and assigned tasks.
- Serve a minimum of one (1) three-year term on the Board. Eligible to serve two (2) three-year terms if re-elected.
- The board meets monthly during all months except July and December. Meetings include regular board meetings, grant presentations, and a board retreat in August. Trustees are asked to miss no more than 2 meetings per fiscal year.
- Trustees are asked to serve on at least one (1) standing committee. Standing committees include: Grants, Finance, Governance, and Events.
- Grant and Finance Committees generally meet monthly September through May.
- Governance Committee meets 2 to 3 times per year depending on need.
- Events Committee meets as needed for event planning.
PARTICIPATION IN GIVING
- All Trustees (100%) are expected to participate in fundraising efforts. Trustees are asked to make a meaningful personal donation each fiscal year and, if applicable, ask for a matching gift from their employer.
- All Trustees are expected to cultivate and open doors to new donors and sponsors to meet fundraising goals.
- Trustees are asked to attend at least one (1) Special Event annually and invite a significant number of guests. Current REF events include: The Taste, Hall of Fame & AIM for Education.
- Trustees are asked to advocate within the community on behalf of the Rockford Education Foundation. Advocacy may include sharing information about REF at appropriate events (i.e. Developing Healthy Kids speaker series, RPS open houses, PTO meetings, etc. as needed)
- Comply with and adhere to the Board’s governance policies and bylaws
- Comply with and adhere to the Board’s Conflict of Interest policy